ONLINE MODULE – Local SEO
In this lesson the focus is on ‘off page’ optimisation, that is, activities you can engage in external to your website which will also improve your website performance on the search engines.
On completion of this lesson you should:
- Understand the difference between on page and off page search engine optimisation
- Understand the importance of gaining back links to your website
- Understand the difference between one way links and reciprocal links
- Understand different ways to build links
ONLINE MODULE – Local SEO
ESTIMATED TIME FOR COMPLETION: 2-4 hours
Let’s face it. People are becoming more clever with the way they search on search engines, and if they are looking for a product or service in a set location, they will often tack on a location to their search term. You may even do this yourself. Whether it’s looking for a ‘builder in Maroochydore’ or a ‘restaurant in Cairns’, you’ll notice that Google will help you find what you’re looking for by presenting you with a range of options including those which have red pins next to them which are local SEO options. Google renders results in this way whether you are searching on a desktop or mobile device too. You’ve also probably noticed that the red marker listings are quite prominent and lots of people click on them. So this is where local optimisation comes in!
In this online module we’ll show you how local SEO works and encourage you to get your local optimisation working for you so you are featuring in these listings and connecting with more people who are looking for a business, service or product just like yours in your area.
On completion of this local SEO online course you should:
- Be aware of what local SEO is
- Understand how to work out where you are currently listed from a local SEO perspective
- Be aware of where you could get listed online for free, if you are not already
- Understand what local search is and how it works differently to ‘normal’ search.
- Understand why every business needs a Google My Business Account
- Understand what citations are and how to get them
- Getting started with ‘Google My Business’
- Getting the structure right
- Reasons why your listing may not show up
- Ranking of local results on Google
- Get reviews on your Google listing!
- Other places you should list your business to improve your local optimisation
What You Get for Your Money
- A downloadable PDF – print it out and read it at your leisure or save an online version and engage in it digitally
- A one hour (or longer) webinar recording with an expert on the topic running your through the content
- Resources – downloadable resources related to the content where available
- Access to our Private Facebook group where you can network with other likeminded business people who are engaging in digital skills training. Ask questions, gain support, keep updated!
About the Presenters
The training I received during the WordPress for Business session has helped demystify the nuts and bolts of my website. I now feel that I have the knowledge to make some ongoing changes to the website to help keep it relevant. There is obviously so much more that I need to know, but this session was a great start and I look forward to further training in the future.
Thanks for the awesome program. I did miss a couple of sessions which I’ll go back into but tonight was a great overview. Yvette Adams, you and your team are awesome!! … I now have a broad understanding of online marketing and cannot wait to put all this to practice with my new site.
I thought the session was great and Tara was obviously a subject matter expert.
I couldn’t have asked for much more. The sessions were brilliant. My skill set has been greatly added to and I feel very confident of carrying over what I’ve learnt into my professional practice. Andrew’s willingness to help me with future inquiries on Skype is a godsend and will help me immensely. I’m very happy with your service and would happily recommend you guys to anyone.
Firstly, I would like to congratulate you on a terrific course. Its flexibility became my saviour many times. Initially, my intention upon doing the course was to “fill in the gaps”. But I learnt more than that -so much more…. I have delved into social media, and found myself enlightened with the privacy settings! … I had used Google Analytics before, with no real understanding, until your e-lesson and webinar. Both were invaluable for great website resources and simple explanations of the complexities of the analysis. I have much greater knowledge and understanding of web marketing, both paid and unpaid, and am introducing myself to mail chimp and pay per click as time allows. It was great to bounce ideas off my mentor, who was actually fantastic at positive constructive feedback as the site progressed. Giving me time on the phone, as well as the Facebook lounge and private e-mails, kept me on track. This program has given me a great on line toolbox. You ought to see my bookmarks page!!! Thanks again for everything – well worth the price!
What can I Say? Heather is amazing! She was extremely professional, knowledgeable and easy to deal with. Very detailed and thorough. Thank you a great session.
Thank you so much for the course. I have learnt so much, and feel I now know what I have to do to make all this Social Media work for my business. Thank you for all your hard work and professionalism!
The program has been a wonderful experience for me…way out of my comfort zone! And I wish to say a huge thanks to the GUTS team for your help, support and patience. My thanks also to Krishna, she has been fabulous to me, I owe her a debt of gratitude!
Please note: As online tools update often, screenshots or orientations around the system given in this module may look different from what it does today. The learning principles will still apply.